Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween 2012

My least favorite holiday is almost over.  I don't like Halloween.  I just don't.  It doesn't have anything to do with religion or anything like that.  I just don't really like it.  Mom really liked it when we were small and she passed out the candy for the last few years of her life.  She loved the little ones costumes. I like the little ones costumes too, but it is too cold to sit outside and I can't stand long enough to pass out the candy so I hide inside.

Tomorrow is November.  The hated October will be over although it wasn't as bad as I feared.  I did okay on the anniversary of Momma's passing.  It was a few days before the anniversary that I was a wreck for a bit.  It is hard to think about the little lady's last week without tears at times.  In my mind, I can still see her lying on the hospital bed in the hospice unit.  Her little feet were propped up on pillows so she wouldn't get sores on her ankles.  She had one on her tailbone and I know at one point when they moved her she was in pain.  I saw her cry, which, of course, made me cry too.  The nurse came right away to give mom some pain medicine.  They had to move her every 2 hours so she had some one checking on her all the time.  That was one of the reasons I had her moved to the hospice unit instead of at home.  I am thankful for the time that I did have with her.  I have lots and lots of wonderful memories that I would have missed if I hadn't been the one to take care of her.  I always knew it would be me.  I don't know why, I just knew.  I remember when I was 19 and she got into a horrible car accident.  She had a car broadside her and pushed the passenger side of the car to the middle of the car. It was a true miracle that she lived through that.  I took care of her then.  At that time, Momma and I were not getting along, not one bit but that didn't matter.  She was in the hospital for about 5 days and then the doctor asked me about who would be taking care of her.  I said I would be.  He gave me very careful instructions that I took extremely serious.  Momma was home for 6 weeks recovering.  When she first came home, I had to get some comfortable clothes for her.  I bought about 4 sweatsuits for her. I thought that the fleece would be much more comfy for her.  I picked some really cute ones in lots of pretty colors.  While Momma was recovering, we didn't argue or raise our voices at each other at all.  Of course, once she was fine, we started arguing again.  We are so much a like it is scary, which is why I think we argued a lot when I was in high school and college.  I took taking care of her so very seriously.  I remember one day near the end of her 6 weeks at home, she wanted to go downstairs for dinner.  Well, the doctor didn't want her going up or down the stairs at that point because of her head injury.  I told her she couldn't go downstairs.  She said she wanted to.  I said she couldn't and if she did I was calling the ER doctor and she would have to be re-admitted to the hospital.  Needless to say, I won that argument.  It is just kind of funny to think about a young 19 year old saying no to her mother. Our doctor said I did a good job taking care of her.  I wasn't surprised because how could I not take good care of her.  She was my mother.

Anyways, I am looking forward to Thanksgiving next month and then Christmas.  As far as I know, I am planning to go to Kathy's parents' house with Kathy and her family for both holidays.  My family is having 2 parties before Christmas so that is good.  Usually the day after or a couple days after Christmas Uncle John and Aunt Michelle have a family dinner that both Andrew and I go to.  I will check into that in the weeks coming.  I also will be starting the ornaments for the students and family for Christmas.  I sewed with Aggie and I wasn't sad.  Sewing was something I did a lot with Mom and before the costume that Aggie needed, it upset me to try to sew.  It doesn't bother me right now though.

I think that I am going to ask the girls to come and decorate again this year.  I need them to also go into the attic and get down the decorations that are up there.  I know there are several boxes of them.  What ever we decide I don't want will be donated so other people can enjoy them.

I had 2 lessons today.  My Sarah was not feeling too well so they were absent.  I hope she is feeling better now.  I had a medium bad headache today.  My knees were a bit more achy than usual from the cold.  I had a followup with a Doctor from the ER visit this past weekend.  The infection is doing well and is clearing up.  The doctor said if it still was hurting by Friday, to call and she will have the medicine refilled for another week.  Overall, she is happy with how the infection is doing.  The doctor that I went to see is actually one of my students' mother.  I did have a referral from Doctor Gradolph, but since I know Jasmin, I would rather see her.  She didn't have a problem with it at all.  Oh, and I lost 2 pounds this month.  I am happy about that.  I just need to lose much, much, much more.  I know I can do this.  Losing the weight is a goal I can keep.  I feel better with eating healthy food instead of the junk and fast food.  I just have to work harder at adding the exercise too.

I am going to read for a bit and watch Law and Order: SVU before heading for bed.  My lovely Breanna is going to have her lesson tomorrow.  She takes lessons every other week now.

No comments:

Post a Comment