Saturday, July 20, 2013

Maia 7-20

My cousin, Maia, as some of you know, has cancer and is very, very, very ill.  At this point it is comfort care not cure care.  I saw her today for the first time since she went into the hospital last week.  Oh my, it is heartbreaking.  She is in so much pain.  Under her chin is so swollen, her left arm is swollen, and her left hand is swollen.  They are causing such pain and uncomfortableness to her.  I was there with Tilley and with Maia's daughter, Danielle.  I wanted to cry when I saw her but I held it in.  She doesn't need me crying too.  With the medicine she is on, she falls asleep a lot but it isn't good sleep like you would hope she gets.  There so much I want to say but I can't form the words to say it.  I don't know what to say other than what I already have said.  I plan to go and see her again in a week or so.  She will be moving to a different facility so that she will have the continual care she needs.  She has less than 6 months.  Oh my.  I so hope they stop her nightmares that she has been having and control the pain better for her.  Maia is such a wonderful woman, friend, as well as cousin.

Cancer completely and totally sucks.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry Heather. It isn't fair for anyone to go through so much pain and misery before they die. Sending prayers that her journey home will be a quick one, may the Lord ease her pain as she journeys back to him.

    ReplyDelete